Friday, December 7, 2012

The placement that almost was...and the one after

Last week I got THE call.  A 10 month old baby boy needed a home.  Would I be willing to take him the next day?

Excitement.  Fear.  Crazy running around.  I couldn't focus the whole rest of the day.  I was giddy.  I was nervous.  I texted everyone I could think of.  I posted on Facebook (161 likes and 56 comments, to date).  I kept thinking of all the things I didn't know about 10 month olds!  I talked to his social worker and she seemed so nice and excited I was taking him.  She'd been his case worker since birth and she seemed really fond of him.

My friend Emily came home with me that night and we cleaned, I bought bottles and snacks.  We switched the furniture in the kids' rooms so that the crib would be in the boy room - all of which involved removing the doors from their hinges because I couldn't find my allen wrench to take the crib apart.  I moved all the breakable ornaments on my Christmas tree up a few feet.  We washed all the boy clothes I had.

He was to come at 3 p.m on Friday.

I stayed home that day.  I watched a Beth Moore Bible study.  I cried.  I prayed.  I giggled.  By early afternoon I was so antsy that I went and got some bananas (good, basic, baby food) and some Chick Fil-A.  I know some of workers and they could tell I was particularly high strung, so they inquired, rejoiced with me and gave me free cookies.

Let me just take an aside here and say I am still overwhelmed by the outpouring of love, prayers, and well wishes I received about this.  WOW.  God is so good to me.

2:45 pm rolled around.  I was just finishing up my sandwich when my phone rang.  I looked in the driveway to see if maybe they were pulling in.  Nope.  I answered the phone.  The case worker, sounding very apologetic, told me that the judge had ruled that baby boy should go to a family member.  The day before it seemed like there were no family members left to take him.  I'm happy for him, truly I am - it's wonderful he still has family who loves him and will take care of him.

But boy was I disappointed.  And feeling like my Chick Fil-A cookies were now undeserved and shouldn't be eaten and that I had cried wolf on Facebook and text messages.  (I did eat the cookies though - I needed the chocolate).

A short time after I was called for a 2 month old boy.  I was so overwhelmed and confused by so many emotions at this point.  For over 24 hours I had been waiting for one baby boy.  Now, I'm asked to decide on another.  I asked for a couple minutes to pray about it.  I prayed, I knew - I would take him.  But my phone rang again before I could call them back (less than 2 minutes had passed) - a family was there dropping some things off, they were going to take the 2 month old baby home with them.

Roller coaster of emotions.

So here it is, 1 week later and I still don't have a placement and I'm feeling pretty sure again, that I won't have a placement until after I return from Indiana at Christmas.

Then again, who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment